Great Plains Institute President and CEO Rolf Nordstrom will serve a two-year term on the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) Sustainable Transportation Advisory Council.
Rolf was appointed by MnDOT Commissioner Margaret Anderson Kelliher along with 17 other individuals representing the public, private, and nonprofit sectors. Anderson Kelliher will serve as co-chair along with Xcel Energy President Chris Clark.
The advisory council will fully evaluate current transportation activities in Minnesota and explore solutions for decarbonizing the sector. The advisory council will make recommendations to help MnDOT reduce carbon pollution from transportation, and prioritize recommendations that value equity and environmental justice. The group will also oversee a new Clean Transportation Funding Pilot Program to help communities, especially those in Greater Minnesota, reduce carbon pollution.
The idea for an advisory council of outside experts was born out of recommendations in MnDOT’s Pathways to Decarbonizing Transportation report, released in September 2019. Great Plains Institute (GPI) facilitated the stakeholder and public engagement meetings across the state which helped inform the report.
The Sustainable Transportation Advisory Council webpage can be found on MnDOT’s website, and a full list of members is below.
Keep up to date with all GPI news by signing up for our monthly Better Energy newsletter.
2020 Sustainable Transportation Advisory Council members
- Katie Bell, Cummins
- Chris Clark, Xcel Energy
- Katie Frye, Minnesota Power
- Dorian Grilley, Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota
- Greg Ikka, Steele County
- Katie Jones, The Center for Energy and Environment
- Ashwat Narayanan, Our Streets Minneapolis
- Michael Noble, Fresh Energy
- Rolf Nordstrom, Great Plains Institute
- Daniel Schellhammer, Midstate Reclamation, Inc.
- Patrick Seeb, Destination Medical Center
- Russ Stark, City of St. Paul
- Emma Struss, City of Bloomington
- Vishnu Laalitha Surapaneni, University of Minnesota
- Lisa Thurstin, American Lung Association, Twin Cities Clean Coalition
- Peter Wagenius, Sierra Club North Star Chapter
- Tara Wetzel, Mathy Construction Company